All products purchased from Dick Smith come with a manufacturer's warranty. Your tax invoice or receipt is your proof of purchase for any warranty claim. To find out more about your rights under the Consumer Guarantees Act, please view our warranties available below and Our Returns Policy.
Extended warranty is also available on selected items through Dick Smith at the time of purchase in store or online.
If an extended warranty is available for a product you are buying online, you can add the extended warranty by selecting the extended warranty length from the ‘Extend your warranty’ drop down menu on the product page. Warranties are not sold separately.
Statutory Warranties – Consumer Guarantees Act
If you have purchased goods or services for domestic or household use you may have rights under the Consumer Guarantees Act 1993.
If you have purchased goods or services for business or commercial purposes the Consumer Guarantees Act will not apply.
12 Month Manufacturer's Warranty
New Zealand Purchases only
- Our goods are subject to guarantees provided by New Zealand Consumer Guarantees Act (1993) and these guarantees cannot be excluded. If our goods do not comply with the guarantees provided under the Act, you can require Dick Smith to remedy the failure. If the failure can be repaired, we will either repair or replace the goods or at our option or refund your money. If the failure cannot be repaired or is of a substantial character, you can reject the goods and you may choose to have the goods replaced with goods of the same type and similar value (where such goods are reasonably available), or alternatively a refund of your purchase price. You may also be able to obtain compensation for any foreseeable loss or damage resulting from a failure which cannot be repaired or a failure of a substantial character. You will need to provide appropriate evidence in support of any claim for compensation.
- In addition to all rights and remedies to which you may be entitled under the New Zealand Consumer Guarantees Act (1993) and any other relevant legislation, the manufacturer warrants this product to be free from defects in materials or workmanship for a period of 12 months from the date of purchase.
- In order to claim under this warranty you will need to bring the product to any Dick Smith store in the country of purchase, along with proof of purchase (typically this will be a receipt). Any cost incurred by you in bringing the product to the service desk to activate your rights under this manufacturer’s warranty will be borne by you. We will then, at our option, either repair or replace the product, or refund your money and take back the product – in accordance with our Returns Policy, a copy of which is available at our web www.dicksmith.co.nz (New Zealand) as well as in our stores.
- Our liability under this manufacturer’s warranty is subject to us being satisfied that a defect was caused by defective workmanship or materials, and was not caused by or substantially contributed to by other factors, or circumstances beyond our control, including (but not limited to) defective installation, maintenance or repair, alteration or modification of the product in a manner not recommended by the manufacturers or any neglect, misuse or excessive use.
- The benefits conferred by this manufacturer's warranty are in addition to and in no way exclude, restrict or modify all rights and remedies conveyed by the New Zealand Consumer Guarantees Act (1993) and any other statutory rights to which you may already be entitled or any such rights or remedies that are implied by law.
- For goods purchased within New Zealand, this warranty is provided by DSE (NZ) Ltd, 17 Mayo Road, Wiri, Manukau, New Zealand , ph +64 9 279 1300.
Dick Smith Service Conditions
- It is your responsibility to back up your data. Failure to back up may result in loss of valuable data.
- Before accepting goods for assessment we will charge you an Assessment Fee of between $ 55.00 and $ 100.00 (including our administration freight and handling costs) depending on the product type of the goods. Assessment fees for each product type are listed in the attached Schedule.
- Following assessment by the service repair agent or manufacturer we will call you to advise if the goods need to be repaired and the cost of that repair.
- Where goods are covered by express or statutory warranties they will be repaired at no cost to you and your assessment fee will be refunded in full.
- Requests for repair under warranties will be refused in the following circumstances:
- where the fault is not due to a manufacturing fault or defect; or
- where any express warranty conditions have been breached; or
- where goods have been damaged or used in a manner inconsistent with their purpose.
- Where goods are not covered by express or statutory warranties you may request us to arrange for repair of the goods.
- If you request us to arrange for repair of the goods you agree to pay the cost of the assessment fee and cost of the repair in full.
- If you do not collect your goods within 90 days you will lose any rights you had to refund of assessment fees or cost of repair and we may dispose of your goods to cover any costs incurred by us.
- Nothing in these Terms and Conditions limits any rights you may have under the Consumer Guarantees Act 1993.